2J Miss Banks
Welcome to Year two!
Our topic this term is ‘Amazing Africa!’
During this topic we will be looking at;
- Where Africa is – continents, oceans, compass directions, climate, map skills (Geog)
- African wildlife – survival, food chains (Science)
- African culture and Art – we will be creating some African landscapes and masks (Art & D&T)
- Famous people in Africa (History)
- Comparing Africa to Rochdale (Geog)
- Greedy Zebra – we are working on recognising different word types in a sentence and writing our own descriptive sentences. We will be writing about the character from the book – Greedy Zebra.
- The Shepherd girl of Bethlehem – second half term – we will be looking at the Christmas story told from a young girls perspective. We will imagine what it will be like ourselves to have been there.
- Report – Big cats – we will write a report about wild cats in Africa including lions and tigers.
- Instructions – towards the end of the first term we will look at instructions for making something Christmassy!!
Poetry – we will read some African poems and write our own.
- Word types – Adjectives, nouns, verbs, adverbs, imperative verbs
- Sentence types – statements, questions, commands
- Noun phrases, subordination and co-ordination
- Spelling – KS1 Common exceptions words – these will be ongoing throughout the year.
ge and dge, soft c, kn and gn (n), wr,
word endings – le, el, al and il, y, adding ‘es’ to nouns and verbs ending in y, ed, er, est and ing.
- Numberbonds to 10, 20, 100 and corresponding subtraction facts
- Multiplication -2, 3, 5 and 10 times table
- 10 more and less
- Statistics – pictograms, bar charts and tables
- Greater than, less than and equals too < > =
- Read and write numerals in numbers and words
- 2d and 3d shapes
- Polygons and non-polygons
Please make sure the book is returned everyday and the book will be changed on the specified day.
PE will take place on Wednesdays – Please make sure full PE kit is in on this day.
- Homework will be given out on Fridays and should be returned by Wednesday.
- Children will have 5 maths, 5 English tasks and 1 topic task to complete each half term.
- Check which dates each question is due in by. One of each maths and English can be completed each week.
- Spellings will be sent home to practice.